Financial Assistance to Help Pay for Child Care

In order for a family to be eligible to receive a child care subsidy, they must meet certain requirements.

They must have an activity, or service need:

Both parents / guardians in the household must have an activity which may be working at least 20 hours, looking for employment (up to 8 weeks job search allowed), going to school, is retired (if older than 65 years only), or you or your child has a diagnosed and documented disability or special need (a doctors form and letter must be submitted to support this).

They must meet the Income Guidelines:
A family must fall within the 50% SMI in order to be eligible. A family with a child who has special needs may be eligible to fall within the 85% of the SMI (a doctors form and letter must be submitted to support this). Click here for the MA State Median Income (SMI) guidelines

In order to receive financial assistance, you must complete an application to have your name added to the state wide Income Eligible Child Care Subsidy Wait List. You can click here to download and print the wait list application and mail or fax it to:

New England Farm Workers’ Council
21 Mohawk Trail – Unit #4
Greenfield, MA 01301
Fax: 413.475.3152

DTA – Cash Assistance 

If you are receiving cash assistance through DTA or if you have had an open cash case in the last 12 months (but closed due to employment and earnings), you may be eligible to receive a referral for a voucher. You need to contact your DTA worker to see if you are eligible and request a child care referral for a voucher.

Income-Eligible Families

Having your name on the state wide Income Eligible Child Care Subsidy Waitlist will allow you to be contacted by any program that offer state subsidized child care slots. You may receive a Funding Availability Letter from New England Farm Workers’ Council for a voucher; a center-based child care program or Head Start Program that has EEC contracted slots.  In order to remain active on the waitlist, you must respond to any Funding Availability Letter that you receive within 15 days, even if you do not want to use that program. (Also, if you refuse three Funding Availability Letters, you may be terminated from the Wait List).

What is the difference between an Income Eligible child care voucher and a contracted slot?

A voucher through NEFWC can be used with any licensed child care provider or program that has a signed contract with NEFWC to accept child care vouchers.

An EEC contracted slot is a subsidized space in a specific child care program or family child care system. A family with a contracted slot cannot use that subsidy at any other program. If they choose to leave that contracted program, the slot becomes available for another child on the programs wait list.

Head Start Programs

Head Start is a federally funded program with full and/or part time hours that serve preschool-age children and their families. Many Head Start programs also provide Early Head Start, which serves infants, toddlers, pregnant women and their families who have incomes below the federal poverty level. Head Start programs provide comprehensive services to enrolled children and their families, which include health, nutrition, social services and other services determined to be necessary by family needs assessments. 

Holyoke /Chicopee / Springfield Head Start
(Most Hampden County Locations)
Contact: 413.788.6522

Community Action – Parent Child Development Center

(Westfield, West Springfield, Agawam only)
Contact: 413.654.1772

Berkshire County Head Start

Contact: 413.499.0137

Community Action Head Start – Parent Child Development Center Hampshire County

Contact: 413.387.1234

Franklin County

Contact: 413.376.1117

MOC (Montachusett Opportunity Council) Head Start Athol Only

Contact: 978.343.0185